Remember you have these notes and more exercises here
|WILL||GOING TO||PRESENT SIMPLE||PRESENT CONTINUOUS||FUTURE CONTINUOUS|
|will/won’t do something
|be going to Verb
I’m, you are, going to verb
we are, you are, they are
|3rd p sg –(e)s don’t / doesn’t||be V+ing||will be doing sth
will be + GERUND
|to talk about a future fact· He’ll be 24 tomorrow.
· The money will go into your account at the end of the month.
to make offers and promises
· I’ll answer the phone
· I’ll see you tomorrow
|to talk about a future intention when a decision has already been made/planned· We’re going to meet them after school.
· I’m going to meet my friends in Gasteiz today.
|to talk about future schedules, timetables and itineraries.· The lesson finishes at 3:30.
· The train leaves at 9 o’clock.
|to talk about future arrangements· They are coming to see us tomorrow
(I phoned them)
· I’m meeting Dani at 8:30 (diary)
· Next holiday we’re staying in a hostel. (booked)
|to talk about an activity that will be in progress before and after a particular time· This time next week I’ll be driving to Bilbo.
· Don’t call me at 7 o’clock. I’ll be sleeping.
|to make a prediction (there is no present evidence)· I think Germany will win the World Cup.
· If you take an aspirin, you’ll soon feel better.
to express an intention or decision made at the moment of speaking
· It’s cold here. I’ll switch on the heating.
· I’ll have chicken and large fries.
|to talk about future predictions when there is evidence that something is going to happen· Look at those black clouds. It’s going to rain.
· Be careful. You are going to fall!
|In clauses with time words like when, after, until,… · I’ll come home when
– I finish work
– I have finished work
· She’ll get in touch as soon as she has the information.
|intention ≠ arrangement
You have to phone someone, write it down in your diary, book it or promise yourself something
to talk about planned actions that will take place in the near future
· We are meeting Paul tonight
· Isn’t he coming with us tonight?
|will have done sthwill have +PARTICIPLE
to talk about an action that will be completed before a specific time in the future
· You’ll have finished your homework by 9 o’clock.